[ModLib] FMLEd for The Philosophy of Kant

JOHN PETERSON jpetersonlhi at verizon.net
Sun May 4 17:59:02 EDT 2008

A lot of the 1970's 'beige' jacketed MLs do this--they are spine #15.  I don't have a copy of Kant from the '70's, but I pulled down a 1970's copy of Burckhardt's "The Civilization of the Renaissence in Italy."  On the verso of the title page is the inscription, "First Modern Library Edition, 1954/Copyright, 1954, by Random House, Inc."  Other than that, I can't explain it, except to guess that the FMLE stopped meaning that THIS book you're holding is a first, and began as an indication of WHEN the title first came out in ML.  Are there ANY 70's vintage beige jacketed ML firsts until the ones w/woodcut designs began in the 80s?

John Peterson