[ModLib] ML "The Possessed" First American Edition?

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Wed Jun 25 15:13:04 EDT 2008

Folks,

I was adding some DJ blurbs to the Website (thanks to John Peterson &
John Wolansky) when I read these lines from a 1967 printing of
Dostoyevsky's The Possessed:

"The Possessed has the distinction of appearing as a first American
edition, in that it contains a hitherto-suppressed chapter. Avrahm
Yarmolinsky, who provides a foreword and the translation of the newly
discovered chapter, explains the political reasons for the suppression
and the manner in which the original was released from the Russian
archives."

Who knew?