[ModLib] Fw: First edition points for Pepys

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Feb 20 10:28:47 EST 2008

I have copies of both of these. I list the one without the list at the end (it does have three blank leaves at the end that would have accommodated a list) as the first printing and record the second as a "variant printing" -- but I note that priority hasn't been established between them.

Boni & Liveright commonly included forthcoming titles in ML lists (and some "ghosts" that were never published at all) so the inclusion of 1922 titles doesn't mean it wasn't published before 1922. Pepys was a fall 1921 title and was listed in the  "Weekly Record" of newly published books in the Dec. 17, 1921 issue of Publishers' Weekly. However, B&L sometimes sent books late for inclusion in the list.

My copy of the printing with the list of titles at the end has a #3 binding, but this doesn't mean anything since B&L warehoused most of their ML books in sheets and bound them as needed, so it wasn't unusual for a book printed in one year to have a binding that wasn't introduced until a year or two later.

Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio, by the way, was published in December 1921. It sold 1369 copies that year, and 2632 copies in 1922.

Barry