[ModLib] ebay people are a strange lot

Terry I. Seymour tseymour at ptd.net
Fri Feb 1 17:31:08 EST 2008

Sounds like a lot of bid snipers are checking in. Actually a real auction
has the participants present and bidding in open competition with each
other. Only an auction with sealed bids is comparable to bid-sniping. I
doubt that the seller actually gets the best price in a bid sniping scenario
since people do not compete but merely place their own estimate on the value
of an item. I suspect that sellers know that and thus would prefer to
simulate the auction room environment on ebay. Obviously that model is not
working very well. Open competition betrays what buyers are really willing
to pay as opposed to what they would like to pay.
Terry Seymour

  _____