[ModLib] ebay people are a strange lot

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Fri Feb 1 15:59:25 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Terry I. Seymour wrote:

> Increasingly people are reluctant to publicly exhibit their interest
> in a
> book by making a bid. Thus, they will watch and submit their bid
> very late
> in the auction. Bid sniping programs are exacerbating this problem.

As a buyer, I don't see sniping as a problem. Unless I'm "testing the
waters" (which I seldom do anymore), I use eSnipe to do my bidding for
me. I know how much a book is worth to me -- why get caught up in the
silliness of ego-against-ego competitiveness that ongoing bidding
fosters?

Character is what you do when nobody's watching.