[ModLib] Library of Congress Catalogue #'s

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 13:24:27 EST 2008

ML'ers,

Last weekend I surveyed all my books that might have Library of Congress Catalogue #'s.  I got 101 regulars, 17 Giants, and about 12 - 50's paperback and college editions.

I found three cases of duplicated #'s that I thought were odd.  The least curious one was Moliere's 8 Plays.  The college edition had the same # as the 1957 Regular edition.  Next, Tolstoy's Short Novels and Short Novels II, had the same #.  And the one I thought was strangest: Renaissance Philosophy Vol. I and Vol. II had the same Library of Congress #  even though they were edited by two differnent editors and have no overlapping content by author.

Anyone know enough about the policies of assigning the numbers to explain why these were done this way?

Darrell