[ModLib] NOT SUCH A GREAT GATSBY

JOSEPH HILL goodbooks at webtv.net
Sun Dec 28 17:27:14 EST 2008

Last week I sold a Modern Library Price Guide to a collector of first editions who specializes in Fitzgerald; why he wanted a copy of the Guide, I have no idea.
He stated that he has three inscribed Modern Library editions of the Gatsby.
I then told him of the inscribed copy to his wife that I had seen at a San Francisco book show with my eldest daughter some thirty years ago.
He then gave me the following reasons why that copy may well be a fake.
1,) No major Fitzgerald collector  knows of its existence.
2.) Even thirty years ago, the price of $1,600 would be  low.
3.) At the time the Modern Library edition was published (1934), Zelda was already institutionalized.

SPECIALIZE IN MODERN LIBRARY
FOLIO SOCIETY OF LONDON
LOEB CLASSICAL LIBRARY
EVERYMAN'S  LIBRARY
The whole duty of art is listening for the voice of God