[ModLib] King Kong in the Modern Library

robert e. watling jr. rewatlingjr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 20:37:10 EST 2008

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:28:31 -0800, Morris, Terry
<Terry.Morris at polarislibrary.com> wrote:

> I am the first person to throw stones at the modern modern library,
> however if it weren’t for them publishing King Kong I never would have
> read it. Certainly it is not a classic, I’m not arguing that but isn’t
> the point of publishing to keep the work available to be read. If that
> is the only thing Random House can manage today that is not too bad.

As I mentioned on this list after my raid on Powell's City of Books a few
weeks ago, I bought a 1994 ML copy of Einstein's Ideas and Opinions. I was
aware of the list's preference for earlier MLs but with several different
editions available and a nice one from ML I thought why not? If one sets
aside one's prejudice of the later editions, it is actually a very nice
book, nice DJ, older style running torchbearer logo, all in all, not bad
for five bucks. I hope no one is too upset to know that I keep it right on
the shelf in it's proper place among my other MLs. The other books don't
seem to mind. In fact it resides between Dreiser's Sister Carrie and The
Journals of Ralph Waldo Emerson. However, I recieved 75 dollar gift card
to Powell's for my birthday last week so I have another raid planned,
possibly tomorrow. Will keep you all posted on developments...rob.

--
"Cogito ergo...how does that go again?"...rewjr.