[ModLib] ML in the movies

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Aug 14 08:36:55 EDT 2008

Another ML sighting ... last night I watched "The Enemy Below," a well-made 1957 movie about a WWII contest between an American destroyer captained by Robert Mitchum and a German submarine captained by Curt Jurgens. During a lull in the action, one of the American sailors was shown lying in his bunk reading the ML Giant edition of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (vol. 1). A nice close-up of the book with the front panel of the jacket very legible.

I suppose not many people would have noticed that it was vol. 1 of the 3-volume edition which wasn't published until 1946. The version available during the Second World War was the 2-volume edition, though the second jacket design, which was introduced in 1940 and remained in use when the work was divided into 3 volumes, was nearly identical to that of the 3-volume edition. The only difference between the two is that the indication of the historical scope of volume 1 occupies 2 lines in the 2-volume edition and 1 line in the 3-volume. The close-up, though fleeting, was good enough to see the difference.

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library and Information Science Program
106 Kresge Library