[ModLib] Ouida, In a Winter City & Davidson, Poems

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Aug 13 08:29:03 EDT 2008

Cerf and Klopfer sold these two Boni & Liveright titles from the time they took over the series on Aug. 1, 1925 through the end of 1926 when they were discontinued. They never reprinted either title, so all copies they sold had the B&L title page, endpaper, and (in the case of Ouida) B&L list at the end of the volume.

At least some of the copies of Ouida's In a Winter City were sold in the first ML, Inc. binding with the torchbearer on the front cover. (B&L generally warehoused its ML printings without bindings and bound copies as needed, so a single B&L printing can have bindings in different styles.) But I've never seen a copy in a ML, Inc. jacket with the torchbearer on the spine. Does anyone have a copy with this jacket?

I've never seen Davidson's Poems in a ML, Inc., binding, so I assume there were enough bound copies in the warehouse to satisfy demand. However, I have seen copies in the B&L binding with the ML, Inc. jacket with the torchbearer on the spine. So my question here is whether anyone has this in a ML, Inc. binding with the torchbearer on the front cover.

It's more likely that there's a ML, Inc., jacket for Ouida than a ML, Inc. binding for Davidson. I'll be grateful if you could check your copies and let me know.

Thanks!

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library and Information Science Program