[ModLib] Butler

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Aug 10 18:39:18 EDT 2008

Here are the variants of Butler's Way of All Flesh from my bibliography:

(1) Boni and Liveright, 1917, with 1-page note by Streatfield.
(2) New imprint on title page: Boni and Liveright instead of Boni and Liveright, Inc.
(3) Title page with monk device
(4) ML Inc. title page with torchbearer device (1925/26) Printings of this title page come with 4 distinct jackets
(5) Title page reset with Blumenthal binding (c. 1940)
(6) Text reset w. 562 pages (constituting a new bibliographical edition)
(7) Zabel introduction replaces Streatfield note. The introduction first appeared in Modern Library College Editions and later in the regular ML. The earliest printing I've seen with the Zabel introduction is fall 1953 (based on jacket) but there was probably at least one earlier printing.

Barry