aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Aug 10 18:39:18 EDT 2008
Here are the variants of Butler's Way of All Flesh from my bibliography:
(1) Boni and Liveright, 1917, with 1-page note by Streatfield.
(2) New imprint on title page: Boni and Liveright instead of Boni and Liveright, Inc.
(3) Title page with monk device
(4) ML Inc. title page with torchbearer device (1925/26) Printings of this title page come with 4 distinct jackets
(5) Title page reset with Blumenthal binding (c. 1940)
(6) Text reset w. 562 pages (constituting a new bibliographical edition)
(7) Zabel introduction replaces Streatfield note. The introduction first appeared in Modern Library College Editions and later in the regular ML. The earliest printing I've seen with the Zabel introduction is fall 1953 (based on jacket) but there was probably at least one earlier printing.
---- Original message ----
>Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:21:23 -0700
>From: Scot Kamins <kamins at modernlib.com>
>Subject: Re: [ModLib] Butler
>To: zebradlj at yahoo.com, For collectors of Modern Library books <modlib at owu.edu>
> From BookNotes for that title at ModernLib:
> Two editions of this title came out. The first was
> in July of 1917 with an introductory note by
> Streatfeild; the second came out in 1953 (?) with an
> introduction by Zabel. The Toledano Guide notes a
> revised edition in 1940, but no information
> verifying this alleged revision has emerged.
> Intro author: 1917 Introductory note by R.A.
> 1953 (?) Introduction by
> Morton Dauwen Zabel
> On Aug 10, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Darrell Johnson wrote:
> What marks the new edition of The Way of All Flesh in 1940?
> I have two copies with 292 titles listed in the jacket,
> but I'm not sure what version they are
> because I don't know whato look for.
> ModLib mailing list
> ModLib at owu.edu
> Scot Kamins
> Over 50? Thousands of discounts for you
> at http://www.SeasonedSpender.com
>ModLib mailing list
>ModLib at owu.edu
Gordon B. Neavill
Library and Information Science Program
106 Kresge Library
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI 48202
313-577-0507 (tel); 313-577-7563 (fax)
aa3401 at wayne.edu
More information about the ModLib