[ModLib] A LITTLE OFF TOPIC, BUT I THOUGHT THIS SAGE GROUP COULD HELP ME LOCATE A QUOTE

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Sun Sep 30 16:14:41 EDT 2007

On Sep 30, 2007, at 12:53 PM, John Wolansky wrote:

> The quote has to do with the idea that Democracy will fail because
> when the electorate realize they can vote themselves all sorts of
> goodies, the system will go broke.  If anyone could provide the
> quote and the author I would be greatly appreciative.
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can
only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves
largess from the public treasury. From that time on the majority
always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the
public treasury, with the results that a democracy always collapses
over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. "

-- Sir Alex Fraser Tyler (1742-1813), Scottish jurist and historian

http://www.bluecorncomics.com/reliant.htm
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/quotes.html
http://www.economics.pomona.edu/jlikens/food_for_thought.html

(and a bunch of other equally non-authoritative sites, all of which
may be quoting from each other)

"It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with
power tools." - from an anonymous high school essay