[ModLib] Addition to previous Alice posting

kamins at modernlib.com kamins at modernlib.com
Mon Sep 17 20:04:44 EDT 2007

> -------- Original Message --------
Well, this is really interesting. So this was likely a late printing of the illustration sheet for the cover then (or a late pasting of a label -- I guess -- onto the board). There must be VERY few of these around; it's certainly the first I've ever seen.

Guess it must be quite valuable!

> Subject: RE: [ModLib] Addition to previous Alice posting
> From: Gordon Neavill <aa3401 at wayne.edu>
> Date: Mon, September 17, 2007 4:47 pm
> To: For collectors of Modern Library books <modlib at owu.edu>
>
> Harry Abrams, the art director and production manager of the Book-of-the-Month Club, conceived the Illustrated ML and sold Cerf on producing it. He served as art director of the Illustrated series and received royalties on each copy sold. He had a similar arrangement with Grosset & Dunlap to produce their Illustrated Classics series for children.  He was moonlighting from his job at BOMC to produce these series. All this was before he founded his own
  publishing firm at the beginning of 1950. Several titles initially conceived for the Illustrated ML (Tales of Edgar Allan Poe illus. by  Fritz Eichenberg and the two Alice books with Tenniel ilustrations colored by Fritz Kredel) were initially conceived for the Illustrated ML but were diverted to the BOMC for use as dividend volumes. This worked out to everyone's advantage. The only Illus ML titles that earned a profit were those that were picked up by book clubs, either instead of being published in the Illus ML or in addition t
>  o!
> !
>  their Illus ML editions. Even the artists benefited -- Kredel got $2,000 initially for coloring the illustrations and a bonus of another $2,000 when the Alice books were taken by the Book-of-the-Month Club.
>
> The Book-of-the-Month Club printed the two Alice volumes (they were published together in a slipcase as bonus volumes) and the BOMC later offered left-over sheets of Alice in Wonderland to the ML and use in the Illustrated ML f
 or which they were originally intended.

> Barry

 label and clipped the illustration along with the reddish border to use on copies of the Illustrated Alice when they ran out of the new printed sheets they'd printed.