[ModLib] Official color names.

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 14:26:28 EDT 2007

Ugh!

  The name charts would seem to make it even harder.  The "purple" balloon cloth could fall into several headings: dark violet, deep purple etc.; and there is more than one chip in each heading!  And being able to pick one would require assuming H. Wolff was always consistant in mixing the dyes for the cloth, as well being confidant that you are holding a copy that hasn't faded at all. And the appearance depends on the color setting on your monitor!  I was hoping there was a particular designation that they were "aiming at" for extended periods of time, so we could just deploy that same intended designation, but I guess not.

  Are Scot's color disgnations on the web site based on Gordon's?  We should want to create consistancy in the collecting community.

  Gordon, when is the bibliography due out? Is it something poor collectors can afford or will we need to seek out our nearest academic library for occassional perusals and wait patiently for the paperback version?

  [I notice some of my ML mail-server messages are being sent through by Yahoo as BULK.  Have we been downgraded? - Quite an insult!!]

  Darrell

Scot Kamins <kamins at modernlib.com> wrote:

On Oct 15, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Gordon Neavill wrote:

> The preferred standard for describing colors in bibliographical
> descriptions is the ISCC-NBS (Inter-Society Color Council --
> National Bureau of Standards) Color-Name Charts. ... They may mow
> be available online.

http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorucl.html

Silent gratitude isn't very much use to anyone.
- Gertrude Stein