[ModLib] Binding 6 date ranges.

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Sun Oct 14 15:50:43 EDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Darrell Johnson wrote:

> One other question: I had several 5 bindings with nice gilt on the
> spine, barely worn covers but no hint that there ever was any gilt
> on the cover.  Were some books produced with merely a blind stamped
> covers and no gilt?  Or do some books simply shed their gilt quite
> easily and very thouroughly?

Forgot to mention this in my last post. Once again, the ModernLib
Quick Guide to Regular Binding Styles has this note on Style 5:

"Barry Neavill notes that this design required a large amount of gold
leaf and added half a cent per volume to the binding cost. That extra
half-cent doomed it to a short life. The seven titles published
during summer and early fall of 1930 retained the grape vine on the
spine but blind-stamped the torchbearer on the front cover."

Scot Kamins
-----
"Let 'em all go to hell except Cave 76" -- the very first national
anthem