[ModLib] Binding 6 date ranges.

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 15:34:38 EDT 2007

Modern Librarians,

  I was cataloguing my ML's into my database and noted that I had 4 or 5 titles in binding 6 with "First Modern Library Edition 1931" stated.  Henry's most recent price guide confines binding 6 to 1930 - 1930 with binding 7 running 1931-1939.  I seem to recall the earlier price guide had binding 7 running 1930-1939, leaving open the possibility that a very active title might have been printed in three different bindings in 1930 alone.

  What is the actual status of the transition from 6 to 7.  Was it a clean split or was there quite a bit of overlap in ceasing 6 and starting 7?

  I also noticed that I had a few 6's with Bernard end papers.  I recall a discussion a while back on that point.  The discussion included the claim that ML tended to use up old end papers here and there during the transition from Bernard to Kent end papers. And apparently they took from one to two years to use them up in this rather random fanshion.

  One other question: I had several 5 bindings with nice gilt on the spine, barely worn covers but no hint that there ever was any gilt on the cover.  Were some books produced with merely a blind stamped covers and no gilt?  Or do some books simply shed their gilt quite easily and very thouroughly?

  Darrell