[ModLib] Bertha Garlan Strangeness

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Oct 8 18:45:31 EDT 2007

The jacket reproduced here was the third of twelve distinct jackets used by Boni & Liveright.  The books listed on the flaps date it to spring 1918. Bertha Garlan was a spring 1918 title, though it didn't appear in the "Weekly Record" of Publishers' Weekly until June 8. I describe this printing as the first -- no list of titles facing the title page, and a single blank leaf at the end of the volume (the last gathering has 6 leaves).

There is another printing with a C4 list facing the title page and two blank leaves at the end (here the last gathering has 8 leaves).

I believe the printing without the list at the front is the first printing.

There were two subsequent B&L title pages for this title, one around 1924 that omitted "Inc." after BONI AND LIVERIGHT, and one from 1924/5 that has the monk device.

Barry