[ModLib] Jewish Daily Forward and two other oddities.

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 10:18:07 EDT 2007

John,

  Thanks for the reply.

  The date in the title page strikes me as odd.  It would seem that they would have fixed template for the title page and incoporating a date would require a deliberate change.  I can't see how it could have occured accidentally.  I believe a date on the title page is a rare thing for any publisher.  So if they bothered to do it, it would seem that they would have a reason for wanting that to become their standard way of doing it.  So I wonder why they would do it for just a couple titles and then only perhaps for some of those. Unless the holders of the copyrights insisted on it for some reason with these titles.

  Darrell

FROM JOHN PETERSON:
          Darrell,

  I checked my B/Ls and don't have any with the date incorporated into the title page, but also don't have either of the two titles (Wilde, etc.)  you mention in 1,2, or 3 bindings.

  I do have Turgenev Smoke, and it has the same oval logo you mention.  None of the other 75 or so B/Ls I have has this logo.  I seem to remember seeing it in a back issue of the Modern Library Collector, but don't know if there's anything written about it there.

  John Peterson