[ModLib] Jewish Daily Forward and two other oddities.

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 12:31:19 EDT 2007

Modern Librarians,

  I was going through my leatherettes last night and found three types of oddities.  One is discussed on Scot's site and that is the special printings for the Jewsih Daily Forward.  I have discovered that I have three of these:

  Anatole France : The Red Lily
  Samuel Butler: The Way of All Flesh
  Gustave Flaubert: Madame Bovary

  Scot's site lists, in the index under Private Printings, the France: Red Lily, as reported by Amy Comeau. I'm reporting the other two so a more complete list can be built as others find more titles done for these private printings.
  #################################
  The second oddity - the one that sent me glancing through all my B&L's - was a variation on the title page.  Almost every B&L has blocking at the bottom of the page with text inside that says:

  BONI AND LIVERIGHT
  PUBLISHER ... NEW YORK

  but I found two that have this text:

  BONI AND LIVERIGHT
  NEW YORK  ...  19XX

  They are:

  Alexander Jessup: Best American Humorous Short Stories, 1919
  Oscar Wilde: Salome and other Plays, 1920

  According to the book list in Wilde my copy dates from 1923.  So the reference to 1920 was retained after the initial printing. This may be a mere curiosity not worth tracking. Anyone else have any other volumes with this structure? Do all of the Jessup's and Wilde: Salome's have this structure?

  The third one, which seems less significant:  I have two copies of Turgenev: Smoke, one is Toledano 2, the Toledano 3. Most B&L' have one of two logos in the center of the title page box.  Both are small squares.  The first simply has a B L in the square, so logo is similar to the logo on the cover of Toledano 2's.  The second has the same logo of the scriber sitting at his desk that appears on the cover of Toledano 3's.  The logo in my two Turgenevs is a black oval with a white B L inside. Does anyone have a Turgenev: Smoke without this logo?  Does anyone have another title with this logo?   This also may be a mere curiosity not worth tracking.

  I thought I would mention these in case someone recognizes something significant about the oddities or sees a reason why they might prove significant.

  Darrell