[ModLib] Breaking news -- Illustrated ML Alice

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Fri Nov 23 12:03:23 EST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Gordon Neavill wrote:

> I was in New York last week going through the Random House archives
> relating to the Illustrated Modern Library and can now answer
> several puzzles relating to Illustrated Modern Library copies of
> Alice in Wonderland...

Barry,
Thanks much for this new and exciting information. Of course, it
means I'll have to rewrite those Alice articles on ModernLib [::
grumble moan ::], but it'll be worth it. :-D

> When Illustrated Modern Library copies of Alice in Wonderland were
> being bound in October 1947, the bindery ran short of Illustrated
> ML bindings. 100 copies were bound in a substitute binding.

So that makes the substitute binding Alice the smallest printing of
an ML title ever!

Of course, I'd rather have a copy of a Dorian Gray first in a red-
paragraph DJ, but I wouldn't kick an SB Alice out of my library.

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." -- Emma Goldman