Anybody got a Whitman"Leaves of Grass And Selected Prose"...

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Mar 25 08:36:32 EDT 2007

Leaves of Grass and Selected Prose was published in Modern Library College Editions in 1950. It replaced the old edition of Leaves of Grass in the regular ML in spring 1951, but the jacket wasn't updated -- the dark green Leaves of Grass jacket with the American eagle remained in use until 1958, so there's no clue from the outside of the jacket that Leaves of Grass and Selected Prose is inside. It took a while before ML lists were updated to reflect the volume's new title and scope as well. Initially even the front flap text from the old jacket was retained.

The earliest jacket I've seen on Leaves of Grass and Selected Prose is spring 1951 (352). The old front flap text remained in use through spring 1953 (365). The flap text was revised to reflect the contents of Kouwenhoven's edition in spring 1954 (370). A new jacket bearing the title Leaves of Grass and Selected Prose and with Kouwenhoven's name as editor was introduced in fall 1958 (383).

Pretty sloppy on the part of the ML, I'd say.

Barry