Clarification Needed on Strindberg Dates

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Sat Mar 24 18:12:28 EDT 2007

Folks,

I sent this out last week but nobody replied. SOMEBODY must have the
answer to this!!! Let me try again:

I was researching Strindberg in the archives and found this note:
From: "Gordon Neavill" <aa3401 at removed>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:37:19 -0500

MISS JULIE was added to MARRIED in fall 1929, several months after
MISS JULIE AND OTHER PLAYS had been discontinued. It never appeared
in imitation leather. The addition of MISS JULIE was noted on the
spine of the balloon cloth binding and the jacket but never on the
title page. The ML edition of MARRIED with MISS JULIE was
discontinued in 1933.

So that would indicate that MISS JULIE AND OTHER PLAYS lasted until
1929, and that MARRIED stayed in its original form until 1929. But no
copies of MARRIED have been reported in any binding beyond #4.

The Guide has these dates:

MARRIED 1917 - 1925
MARRIED AND MISS JULIE  1925- 1934
MISS JULIE AND OTHER PLAYS 1918 - 1925

But Barry's note seems to indicate:

MARRIED 1917 - 1929
MARRIED AND MISS JULIE  1929- 1933
MISS JULIE AND OTHER PLAYS 1918 - 1929

I don't know what the antecedent of "it" is in "It never appeared in
imitation leather."

Who can clarify this? Barry? Ferris? Anybody?

Join ModernLib for access to thousands of ML images and tons of
members-only info!