Who has "Humphry Clinker" spelled "Humphrey" on the DJ?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:37:27 EDT 2007

I assume the jacket that misspelled the title "Humphrey" was the first. I
don't have any evidence from the archives about this, but I expect new
jackets were ordered when the mistake was discovered. The Modern Library
probably replaced the jackets of unsold copies of the first printing still
in the warehouse with the corrected jackets. It's common to see first
printings with the corrected jacket.

The Modern Library, especially in the later 1920s, sometimes retained
"First" statements on second printings of books where names of authors of
introductions had been printed incorrectly on the first printing. Examples
include Wuthering Heights and the W.S. Gilbert plays. The first statement
can construed in these cases to mean "the first printing with the title page
as it should have been."

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library & Information Science Program