Flowering Judas - a split ML run?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Mar 10 15:00:39 EST 2007

Flowering Judas was published in the ML in September 1940. The following is from my bibliography entry:

When Harcourt, Brace decided in 1948 to launch its own hardbound reprint series, Harbrace Modern Classics, the firm served notice that it was terminating the reprint contracts for all of its titles in the ML. (S. Spencer Scott, Harcourt, Brace, to ML, 18 May 1948). At that time the ML had 4,400 copies of Flowering Judas in stock. Klopfer estimated that it would take twelve months for the stock to sell out (Klopfer to Scott, 3 June 1948; 28 June 1948). The ML edition was officially discontinued in fall 1950. Harcourt, Brace eventually decided not to include Flowering Judas in Harbrace Modern Classics and allowed it back into the ML in spring 1953, when it was reissued in jacket B as ML 284. Copies of the 1946 printing have been seen in the spring 1953 jacket.

Barry