Short History of the United States editions

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Mar 6 18:54:21 EST 2007

A Short History of the United States was originally published by Little, Brown & Co. in 1942 under the title America: The Story of a Free People. It was reprinted as a Pocket Books paperback in 1943 under the title The Pocket History of the United States.

The first ML edition, published in February 1945, adds a chapter on "The Second World War"; the front panel of the jacket states "With a special chapter by the authors which brings the chronicle up to the summer of 1944."

A revised Pocket Books edition containing a new chapter on World War II with other revisions not in the 1945 ML edition came out in February 1951. The last chapter in the spring 1951 ML printing was also revised with additional material, though the copyright date remained 1945. The front panel of the jacket states "With a special chapter by the authors which brings the chronicle up to date."

The ML published a "New Enlarged Edition" in spring 1956 with added chapters on the Cold War, Postwar Problems 1946-1952, The Korean War, and the Eisenhower Administration. Copyright dates are 1942, 1951, 1956.

The "Fifth Edition, Revised and Enlarged," appeared in the ML in 1969. The verso of the title page provides the following bibliographic history:

"FIRST PUBLISHED in 1942 as America: The Story of a Free People by Little, Brown and Company, and reprinted in 1943 in paperback form as The Pocket History of the United States by Pocket Books, Inc. SECOND EDITION with additional chapter published in 1945, retitled A Short History of the United States, in The Modern Library by Random House, Inc., and reprinted by Pocket Books, Inc., under its title. THIRD and FOURTH EDITIONS published in 1951 and 1956 in The Modern Library by Random House, Inc., and by Pocket Books, Inc., under respective indicated titles. (Published in England as America: The Story of a Free People by Oxford University Press.)

Barry