Short History of the United States editions

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Tue Mar 6 15:04:26 EST 2007

I've been working on Booknotes for Nevins & Commager's "A Short
History of the United States."

This title came out in four editions: 1945, 1951, 1956, and 1969.
Each subsequent edition updated events, adding and changing chapters
as appropriate.

I find a couple of things curious about these volumes. The second
edition which Toledano dates to 1951 carries a 1945 copyright date as
does the first edition; and the second edition's last chapter, which
covers WW II events in a different way than in the 1st edition (2nd
edition goes to the end of the war whereas the 1st edition didn't),
eliminates discussion of the War Powers acts, government controls,
and the like.

The third edition covers Korea. I don't know about the fourth edition
-- I don't seem to have a copy. (I thought I did -- I must have sold
it.) Does it cover Vietnam at all?

"He not busy being born is busy dying." -- Bob Dylan