ATLAS SHRUGGED

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Sat Mar 3 16:47:38 EST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 9:32 PM, JOSEPH HILL wrote:

> > regardless of what one thinks of her philosophy,
> >Rand's masterpiece stands with Ulysses as one of the great "Modern:"
> >classics of the 20th Century.

Well, I don't know about THAT. I certainly enjoyed the book, and - in
sharp contrast to Ulysses - understood it. As a writer, Rand was
pretty over the top. Everybody was forever making long-winded
speeches; I always had images of these people standing on podiums-in-
the-round with the wind blowing their scarves as they held forth.

As it turns out -- and I know this will shock many folks here -- I
happen to agree with her economic philosophy (but not her social
views). But those are topics for other mailing lists.

civil disobedience
n.
Refusal to obey civil laws in an effort to induce change in
governmental policy or legislation, characterized by the use of
passive resistance or other nonviolent means.