Confirmation on Guide Error

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Mar 3 09:36:29 EST 2007

Scot,

According to my bibliography, a definite yes to Love and Other Stories with a C5 list facing the title page. Looking in my folder for Love and Other Stories I don't see my notes for the printing I describe as the first, so they must be in a stack of things I haven't filed. I'm not certain about the binding, but this was around the time the #2 binding replaced #1.

Tolstoy's Redemption, which was also published in fall 1919, has a C5 list facing the title page. My copy has a #2 binding, though the gold has faded so much that it might be mistaken for a #1. I think Redemption may have been the first title to appear in a #2 binding, but bindings are always tricky since B&L typically stored books in sheets and bound them as needed. It's possible that a few copies of the first printing were sold in a #1 binding and other copies in the #2.

Henry's Guide describes Redemption as having a #1 binding with a C5 list? Does anyone have this?

Barry