[ModLib] Why all the 1950 intros? (was: SUSPICIOUS OF DATES FOR G13.2, FRENCH REVOLUTION)

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Tue Jun 26 16:12:13 EDT 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Darrell Johnson wrote:

> Another thing to consider.  If the main difference between 13.1 and
> 13.2 is either the addition of a introduction or change in the
> introduction almost all those occurred in 1950 and 1951.  Lots of
> tittles either got intros for the first time or got new intros in
> 1950-51.

It's interesting to note that those new intros in the early 50's came
about as a result of the college editions. From the archives, part of
this comment:

Subject: Re: College editions in the 50's?
From: GORDON NEAVILL
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:42:23 -0400

<snip> ...

ML College Editions marked the beginning of ML introductions aimed at
the college market instead of the general reader as well as greater
attention to the quality of translations and the source of texts
chosen for reprinting. New introductions and other improvements made
initially for ML College Editions soon found their way into regular
ML editions. Most ML collectors have little interest in ML College
Editions, but many ML books printed after 1950 contain content that
was first created for the College Editions.

... <snip>

Scot Kamins
-----
"...the louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our
spoons.." -- Emerson