[ModLib] Results of the Book | DJ Poll
archetype at 20ants.com
Thu Jun 7 07:56:03 EDT 2007
Clare, et al,
It does neither, but thank you for contributing all the same. The
following is not specific to you but is a generality.
Scot, if I may...
I'm the President of the Independent Online Booksellers Association
at ioba.org and can relate to the situation. A group that's gathered
for a common purpose (like modernlib.com or IOBA) replicates a small
society/culture in most ways. The most striking, infuriating, and
depressing way is that like any society/culture only a tiny
percentage of the members participate in ways that benefit the whole
society/culture and the others do not feel any pull toward
contributing to the common good.
In the end it's about 2% of the members supporting the other 98% who
enjoy the benefits and generally participate only to the extent of
complaining. The participants burn out and leave or otherwise quit
participating, and the rest simply grumble that the good times are
gone. Kind of like the ant and the grasshopper.
If one doesn't participate in society/culture (like voting,
volunteering, keeping your sidewalk clean, contributing to the modlib
list and site information, etc.) how can the society/culture improve,
flourish, or ultimately be of benefit? Why can't humans transcend
being complacent about catching a free ride on the efforts of others
with no personal contribution?
At 02:06 PM 6/5/2007, you wrote:
>Well, Scot, I don't collect ML reading copies or djs;
>I just collect bits of information about them. That's
>why I didn't answer (but I'm not sure if if absolves
>me or damns me!).
>--- Scot Kamins <kamins at modernlib.com> wrote:
> > folks,
> > As usual, dealing with ML collectors is as complex
> > as dealing with ML
> > books.
> > I recently took a poll, asking folks their
> > collecting emphasis - book
> > or DJ.
> > 50 of about 130 mailing list members responded.
> > (Why the heck the
> > other 80 or so people couldn't be bothered to spend
> > 10 seconds
> > responding is beyond me.) Of the 47, the breakdown
> > is:
> > Book paramount: 13
> > DJ paramount: 34
> > Equally important: 3
> > I was surprised at these results. I had expected the
> > percentage of DJ
> > concentrators to far outweigh the book
> > concentrators, but there you
> > are -- of those expressing a preference, 27% are
> > book people. So
> > while the total sample is indeed small, I find the
> > this all interesting.
> > We would have had a better idea if the rest of the
> > subscribers had
> > responded. Pretty damn annoying. I wonder how many
> > of those non-
> > responders are non-ModernLib members who eagerly use
> > the free info
> > both there and on this list.
> > Scot Kamins
> > ....................
> > And we say good-bye to you also,
> > For you seem never to have discovered
> > That your relationship is wholly parasitic;
> > Yet to our feasts you bring neither
> > Wit, nor good spirits, nor the pleasing attitudes
> > Of discipleship.
> > (from Amities, Ezra Pound)
> > _______________________________________________
> > ModLib mailing list
> > ModLib at owu.edu
> > http://thuban.owu.edu/mailman/listinfo/modlib
>Need a vacation? Get great deals
>to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
>ModLib mailing list
>ModLib at owu.edu
Michael Watson, bookman Indianapolis IN USA
archetype at 20ants.com www.20ants.com (317)514-3829
20th Century & Antiquarian Books for the Reader & Collector
Fine press, limiteds & unusual non-fiction. Appraisal & cataloging
Traditional courtesies to the trade. Always seeking better books.
President: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
Offering a safe, secure bookbuying experience at
More information about the ModLib