[ModLib] Results of the Book | DJ Poll

pecksgrove at aol.com pecksgrove at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 06:07:29 EDT 2007

Free info?

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: TheBookScene.com <bookscene at gmail.com>
To: For collectors of Modern Library books <modlib at owu.edu>
Sent: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 8:56 pm
Subject: Re: [ModLib] Results of the Book | DJ Poll

Aiee, what a scathing rebuke! Well, at least for once in my life I may
be a part of a 'silent majority'. Those who collect the 'totality'.
Those who think that answering the poll would be akin to understanding
the book plate collector, who, scissoring out his prize, disposes of
both book and jacket.

Neal Fenty

On 6/4/07, Scot Kamins <kamins at modernlib.com> wrote:
> folks,
>
> As usual, dealing with ML collectors is as complex as dealing with ML
> books.
>
> I recently took a poll, asking folks their collecting emphasis - book
> or DJ.
>
> 50 of about 130 mailing list members responded. (Why the heck the
> other 80 or so people couldn't be bothered to spend 10 seconds
> responding is beyond me.) Of the 47, the breakdown is:
>
> Book paramount: 13
> DJ paramount: 34
> Equally important: 3
>
> I was surprised at these results. I had expected the percentage of DJ
> concentrators to far outweigh the book concentrators, but there you
> are -- of those expressing a preference, 27% are book people. So
> while the total sample is indeed small, I find the this all interesting.
>
> We would have had a better idea if the rest of the subscribers had
> responded. Pretty damn annoying. I wonder how many of those non-
> responders are non-ModernLib members who eagerly use the free info
> both there and on this list.
>

> Scot Kamins
> And we say good-bye to you also,
> For you seem never to have discovered
> That your relationship is wholly parasitic;
> Yet to our feasts you bring neither
> Wit, nor good spirits, nor the pleasing attitudes
> Of discipleship.
> (from Amities, Ezra Pound)

-- Thank You,
Neal