[ModLib] Dana "Two Years..." w/Movie DJ

J B Krygier jbkrygier at owu.edu
Sat Jul 28 13:44:43 EDT 2007

Hi all,

A few trips this summer and a few bookstore visits (VA, NC, MN)
turned up a handful of MLs: a 1st Morley "Parnassus" in DJ ($4),
a VG linen-jacketed early HC (271 titles) of Walton's "Compleat
Angler" ($8), and D'Annunzio's "Triumph of Death" (grape-vine-
spine flex binding) in a 150 titles jacket ($11).

I also found a copy of Dana's "Two Years Before the Mast," the
early edition (236.1) with the movie tie-in jacket (and missing
chapter), for $6.  This copy lists 306 (fall 1945) titles on the
inside of the jacket, and the catalog in the back of the book is
fall 1945.  It has one of the tags indicating a ML price increase
to $1.25 in April of 1947 on the jacket.

I already had a copy of this title with 304 titles (spring 1945)
on the jacket, and a fall 1944 catalog in the back of the book.
Neither says "First Modern Library Edition."

The Guide indicates only a 1st edition printing of 236.1 in 1945
before 236.2 (with a different jacket and additional chapter) in
1946. So I suppose there should be a price indication for a non
1st copy of 236.1 in the Guide.  I am guessing no one has a copy
of 236.1 with something other than 304 or 306 titles on the jacket.

Odd that nowhere on the movie tie-in jacket is the movie mentioned.

John K.