[ModLib] Reading the ML

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 13:22:16 EDT 2007

Toby,

  You can try later editions in modern library, both regular and giant.  They had had one or two translaion revisions along the way.

  Darrell

Toby G Levy <tobylevy at juno.com> wrote:
  In my project of reading the ML in the order of publication I have hit a
snag with the Iliad and probably the Odyssey as well. These are the last
two books published in 1929 and I am anxious to get through them to begin
the nineteen new titles from 1930, which includes The Sun Also Rises, Of
Human Bondage and anna Karenina.

The Iliad has been translated in a style that to me is impenetrable. The
sentence syntax is tortured. I cannot imagine Homer reciting this aloud
in ancient Greek. A glance at the Odyssey looks like it's cut from the
same cloth. I scanned through the Iliad and will probably have to do the
same for the Odyssey. Anyone else give these books a try?

Toby