[ModLib] Re: Reading the ML RE KAUFMAN

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Jul 5 21:54:46 EDT 2007

Thus Spake Zarathustra is published separately in the regular series and as part of the Giant Philosophy of Nietzsche volume; the Giant was originally printed from the same plates as the ML's regular Nietzsche volumes.

The texts of the regular and Giant editions of Capital are very different. The regular volume, Capital and Other Writings (1932) consists of a severely abridged version of the three original volumes of Capital along with a number of other important writings by Marx. The abridgment of Capital is a reprint of The People's Marx, originally published in 1921 by  International Bookshops in London. I suspect the ML reprinted it without permission; as far as I know it wasn't copyrighted in the U.S. The translation is by Stephen L. Trask.

The Giant (1936) is a reprint of the complete first volume of Capital, translated by Samuel Moore and Edward Aveling and  published in the U.S. in 1906 by Charles H. Kerr Co. in Chicago. The Giant is printed from a duplicate set of Kerr plates. Cerf originally offered $500 for the plates and publishing rights; Kerr wanted $1,000; Cerf countered with an offer of $750 which was accepted. If you're interested in Kerr, there's an excellent history titled "We Called Each Other Comrade": Charles H. Kerr & Company, Radical Publishers (Univ. of Illinois Press, 1997).

Barry