[ModLib] Re: Reading the ML

Toby G Levy tobylevy at juno.com
Thu Jul 5 18:23:13 EDT 2007

John Wolansky asked:

> Could you please share your secret as to how you got through Thus
Spake
> Zarathustra?  I took three swings and struck out.

As with all the Nietzche, I did what I did with the Iliad: I read a few
pages, then began to just read just the first sentence of each paragraph
and would up just reading the the first paragraph of each chapter, or
"Book."  As I leaf through the intervening pages, if something catches my
eye I stop and read that as well.

I mean, I HAVE read other better translations of The Iliad. It's not like
I was missing anything. With the Nietzche, I felt like  I was better off
NOT reading it too closely!

Mike Mayer asked:

> Is that the Leaf/Lang/Myers translation that newer editions used?

Yes that's the one. The Odyssey is translated by Lang and Butcher.

Toby