[ModLib] Reading the ML

Toby G Levy tobylevy at juno.com
Thu Jul 5 08:48:59 EDT 2007

In my project of reading the ML in the order of publication I have hit a
snag with the Iliad and probably the Odyssey as well.  These are the last
two books published in 1929 and I am anxious to get through them to begin
the nineteen new titles from 1930, which includes The Sun Also Rises, Of
Human Bondage and anna Karenina.

The Iliad has been translated in a style that to me is impenetrable.  The
sentence syntax is tortured.  I cannot imagine Homer reciting this aloud
in ancient Greek. A glance at the Odyssey looks like it's cut from the
same cloth. I scanned through the Iliad and will probably have to do the
same for the Odyssey. Anyone else give these books a try?

Toby