[ModLib] More First Edition Points Needed For Many Titles

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Wed Jul 4 15:08:23 EDT 2007

Folks,

Yesterday (or so) I published a list of possible items to be added to
BookNotes. These items were to be used as help in identifying first
editions. I started to add these to BookNotes today and immediately
ran into problems. Here's each item and the problem I discovered with
it. Does anybody have a solution for me?

* DJ back -- useful for post-1963 issues that had no "available
titles" count at the top of the DJ inverse. But how do we know which
DJ back appeared on books from 1966, for example, when styles k, l,
and m were all used?

http://www.modernlib.com/Identifiers/djBacksReg/backsReg.html

* Price on DJ flap -- Some DJ flaps don't show prices. Are there any
firsts that lack the price? Which ones? And what of price-
transitional years when there was one price in the Spring and another
in the Fall?

http://www.modernlib.com/General/pricesByDate.html

* Presence or absence of back-of-book catalog -- which 1sts did NOT
have them in the years 1933 - 1967?

* Dating key -- Especially useful for books in the 1963 - 1967 time
frame, after "available titles" count disappeared from DJ inverses
and while back-of-book catalogs were still being updated -- but while
we now know what year nearly every title appeared, we have no
reliable list indicating whether the book appeared in the Spring or Fall

As I'm fond of saying, I'm willing to spend all kinds of time adding
 >USEFUL & RELIABLE< material to ModernLib. As your hobby is
collecting these books, my hobby is collecting & publishing
INFORMATION about these books. But people have to help me figure out
how to gather the info, and people have to send me info to publish.

"I hate writing; I love having written." --  Dorothy Parker