Was Counterfeiters gone 1946 - 1962?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Jan 31 19:58:45 EST 2007

The Counterfeiters was published in the ML in May 1931 and discontinued in fall 1946. As far as I know the reason was weak sales rather than Knopf (the original publisher) withdrawing the book from the series. In 1939, when the reprint contract came up for renewal, Cerf told Knopf: "This is a book that doesn’t sell in any spectacular fashion, but it is a nice one for us to have."

The Counterfeiters and The Journal of the Counterfeiters was published in the ML in spring 1962 and remained in the series into the 1980s.

Barry