Of (Missing) Translators and Literature in Translation

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Tue Jan 30 19:14:11 EST 2007

Folks,

While doing the Book Notes project, my thoughts have turned to the
issue of translations. (I'm listing the translators, when available
and as appropriate -- or at least the principal translators).
Specifically, two things are striking:

1) A translation is NOT the original: Reading Bovary in French is
reading a different novel from (or is it than?) reading Aveling's
translation, which is reading a different novel from the Steegmuller
translation:

    Madame Bovary by Steegmuller, based on the novel by Flaubert
    Madame Bovary by Aveling, based on the novel by Flaubert
    Madame Bovary by Flaubert

2) ML sometimes doesn't list translators at all! Given (1), who is
the author of the ML version of Mille de Maupin, based on the novel
by Gautier? You might as well list the author as "Anonymous." What
were they thinking?

"He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the
East River." - from an anonymous high school essay