A Sign Of The Times?

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 15:06:14 EST 2007

    My suspicion is that EBAY has made it clear that titles we couldn't find in our local haunts weren't really as scarce as we thought.  Titles we thought we might never find could actually be found (at least now and then) on EBAY.  Eventually, almost everyone who really wanted one scraped up enough money to buy one on EBAY (or at least through the internet).  So then this same title might come up and almost no one bids on it - the people who notice the auction already have the title now.
     The same holds for more common titles.  It probable took me two or three years to get to a couple of hundred titles ( mostly hardbacks, a few letherettes and balloon cloths; and many without jackets).  A brand new colector could do that in a 10-day EBAY cycle.  At any given time there is aroud 200 Modern Library Auctions.  Many have more than one title.  If one had the money one could probably have a 200-300 tile library purchased in 10 days.  So common titles have a hard time maintaining a market.  No collector needs them.
     I believe the internet market-place has to drop the price of most titles over time - UNLESS we figure out how to encourage MANY more new collectors.

  MY 2-CENTS

  Darrell

JOSEPH HILL <goodbooks at webtv.net> wrote:
    A short while back, I won a VG/VG copy of Grimm & Andersen on ebay at a very low price. for resale.  A few years back, one could not find G76 listed on ebay..and .if  you did, it was at a very dear price.

SPECIALIZE IN MODERN LIBRARY    FOLIO SOCIETY OF LONDON  LOEB CLASSICAL LIBRARY  EVERYMAN'S  LIBRARY