Why is ModernLib membership down?

Darrell Johnson zebradlj at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 15:42:44 EST 2007

  I'm not sure why its dropping, but I have a suggestion about how it might get turned around eventually.

  A few of the responses have suggested that younger people feel no connection to the old books.  Perhaps so.  But Modern Library is still going and younger people may be establishing a connection to the newer stuff.  Our task, then, would be to build the bridge from the current stuff back into our older stuff.  But that means fostering the connection (or continuity) from 1917 to 2007.  Scot, as we know, limits his site to 1917-1970.  So we need a new site that picks up 1977-1985 and 1992-Present and onwards, AND emphasizes the family connection to Scot's site. Create Modern Library Collectors in any genre and you increase the likelihood of ending up collectors of 1917-1970.

  SOME MORE RAMBLINGS

  Darrell

  The number of folks renewing memberships in ModernLib is way down.
Any ideas about what's going on?