Why is ModernLib membership down?

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Mon Jan 29 16:02:55 EST 2007

Hmmm... it doesn't seem that way to me. Sure, it's a lot harder to
find F/F or NF/NF examples at low prices like in days of yore, but I
see no general shortage of MLs (jacketed or not) today compared to a
few years ago.

Methinks it's just the passing of a trend. Collecting interests wax
and wane, and this one is waning. Good for the collectors who stick
with it, though.

As a seller I find less than stellar examples nearly impossible to
sell. The 'Net databases are glutted with dozens if not hundreds of
copies per title, per database. The casual reader has plenty to choose
from and the true collector still generally won't pay anywhere near
value for a VG/VT. I've got 20-30 MLs piled up and ready to catalog,
but I'm ignoring them in favor of other books that I can sell far mor
readily.

I don't like the situation, but that's the way I see it.

I still think the most cost-effective library of literature is
accumulating reading copies of MLs. I also think that a lifetime of
fascination and pursuit is contained in the collecting of nice copies,
varients, and ephemera of ML. Such a pursuit could take you from
cradle to grave and not be complete.

-Michael Watson

Quoting readingstore at thebookscene.com: