Crime & Punishment (199.2) with missing page 350?

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Wed Jan 24 19:26:43 EST 2007

Folks,

Back in June 2003 Fred Williams posted this question"

"I have a Modern Library Dostoyevsky "Crime and Punishment" (Garnett
is the translator) with a typed insert. It says "Missing page 350 in
the Modern Library Edition of Crime and Punishment". The typed page
was folded inside the front cover. Sure enough, Page 350 is blank! It
looks as if the publisher inserted the typed page after the press
run. There is no date on the book so I don't know if it's a 1932 or
1950 edition. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?"

There was just one reply, from Joe Hill:

"Yes,I have a copy,if you wish to date it- DJ #371 $1.45 (rather late)"

So Joe's copy was around 1955. But did this anomaly exist from 1950
when this edition came out, or was it later for a short time?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
                  - Benj. Franklin (perhaps)