Books in Kid's Genre?

Clare Imholtz muldoone99 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 14:04:37 EST 2007

all right, i confess to being a librarian but not one
who can give useful advice on this issue. i've never
dealt  with kid's lit as a librarian. But I'm always
interested in problems of classification, and as a
mother,reader,collector I love children's lit.

So many books cross the child-adult boundaries, that
there are no definitive answers. Alice is also for
adults, and Sherlock and Crusoe I guess for kids.
>From a glance at www.worldcat.org, I see that some
libraries put Two Years Before the Mast with
juveniles, others don't. No right answer.

I would probably include on the list anything that's
traditionally or frequently classified as children's
literature, e.g., Crusoe, but would lean heavily on
the general inclination of the listmembers regarding
individual titles. How's that for a cop-out?

I have to admit I've not (yet) read several of the
books that have been suggested.

Sorry, Scot, for being absolutely no help at all.

clare imholtz, librarian of a sort