Books in Kid's Genre?

Bill DiBenedetto billdi at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 11:37:27 EST 2007

> In addition to the ones already mentioned:
Gulliver's Travels
Two Years Before the Mast
Robinson Crusoe
Red Badge of Courage
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Yearling

I think it's a stretch to list Gulliver's Travels, Robinson Crusoe and
Hunchback of Notre Dame as children's books, despite their Disney,
bowdlerized and highly abridged cartoon and comic versions. They certainly
weren't written with the younger set in mind. These days a 12-year old (or
thereabouts) would have to be pretty precocious to get past a page or two of
those titles. I didn't plow through them until I hit my college years and
then only because I was an English major.

Another possibility for the list - Tales of Edgar Allen Poe, which blew me
away as a young reader.

bill
206-491-0296 (work)
206-963-0499 (personal)