Books in Kid's Genre?

Ron Holl modlib at alltel.net
Thu Jan 18 10:32:04 EST 2007

I thought we had this genre!

At the very least, I think our list needs to include the five that ML felt belonged there in 1926:

Five Great Juveniles:

Carroll, Alice in Wonderland, etc.
Stevenson, Treasure Island
Van Loon, Ancient Man
Wilde, Fairy Tales and Poems in Prose
Yeats, Irish Fairy & Folk Tales

Relative to She/King Solomon's Mines.  If you recall, Barry N. purchased this as a young adult (adding Dracula to the counter as well.)  Dracula was also purchased by John W. as a youngster (using his allowance, and choosing an ML Dracula over a non-ML Frankenstein).  But it clearly indicates that these were books sought by youngsters.

I read She/KSM and thought they were very good (KSM being the better of the two).  I got one of my kids to read KSM (12 yrs) and he did not enjoy it (to him, it was boring).

I just got a copy of Dracula.  Maybe I'll read that next.

ron