M: Buyron

Scot Kamins kamins at ModernLib.com
Wed Jan 17 13:53:17 EST 2007

Barry,
Thanks for these comments (which are now forever ensconced in the
Book Notes for this title). I also note that in the revised edition
the Marchand introduction is somewhat longer because it includes a
couple of pages to discuss Don Juan.

On Jan 17, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Gordon Neavill wrote:

> Byron's Selected Poetry (195) is an interesting case. It was first
> published in ML College Editions in 1951 and added to the regular
> series in spring 1954 (not 1956).
>
> The revised edition appeared in 1967 in binding 13. The revised
> edition adds Mazeppa (pp. 603-28) and selections from Don Juan (pp.
> 381-575) but omits 53 shorter poems that were included in 465.1 and
> gives selections instead of complete texts of The Giator, The Bride
> of Abydos, and The Corsair.
>
> Around 1969/70 Byron's Selected Poetry appeared in the taller
> format with the Fujita torchbearer on the title page. But instead
> of reprinting the 708 p. revised edition, the ML used the plates of
> the original 645 p. edition. I don't know if this was a mistake or
> a deliberate attempt to reduce printing costs at a time the ML was
> beginning to be phased out.

"Will the highways to the Internet become more few?"  -- G.W. Bush