Zola - Nana

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Jan 11 22:28:16 EST 2007

The Modern Library never credited the translator, but on consulting a usually reliable source (my unpublished bibliography) I find that the ML used the translation by Victor Plarr that was originally published in London by the Lutetian Society in 1894 or 1895 and reprinted in the U.S. by Boni and Liveright in 1924. The ML edition was published in January 1928 and remained in print until 1970/71. New plates were made in 1945 with chapter openings dropped almost half way down the page to allow for the inclusion of decorations or illustrations if Nana were ever added to the Illustrated Modern Library, which it wasn't.

Barry