Anonymity of editors,and translators

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Feb 24 09:45:38 EST 2007

If an editor isn't named it may have been compiled in-house by a member of the Random House staff or even by a committee of staff members. Not every anthology identifies the editor, and it's probably better to leave the editor unidentified than to attribute responsibility to Bennett Cerf or anyone else without evidence.

It's not unusual for translations published in the 19th century to be anonymous. For much of its history the ML preferred using older translations in the public domain to paying royalties for recent translations. I've identified translators whenever I can in my bibliography, but in many cases the translation was published anonymously in the first place and there's no way of ascertaining who was responsible.

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library and Information Science Program
106 Kresge Library