Two Blue Droll Stories

20 Ants archetype at 20ants.com
Tue Feb 13 19:26:43 EST 2007

You didn't ask, but just for the sake of completeness...

I've got a brown DJ (no book!) with 388. No clue what year that might
correspond with.

-Michael Watson

At 03:12 PM 2/13/2007, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I recently acquired a hard cover ML copy of Balzac's
>"Droll Stories," with the chuckling monks, in a blue
>dust jacket.  I already had a flex copy of this title
>with the blue DJ.
>
>At some time the 1940s, the jacket color was changed
>to brown.
>
>The flex copy is 1939, with 268 titles on the jacket.
>
>The HC copy is 1943, with 291 titles on the jacket.
>
>Here they are:
>
>http://makingmaps.owu.edu/modernlibrary/droll.html
>
>There is actually a minor difference between these
>two jackets, besides the difference in size (see if
>you can find it).
>
>Question: when was this blue jacket introduced on
>this title: was it before 1939?  Anyone have a
>copy with less than 268 titles?  And when was it
>replaced by the brown jacket?
>
>If you have a blue jacketed HC with something other
>than 291 titles on the jacket, let me know.
>
>In a past posting to MODLIB someone claimed a brown
>copy with 309 titles (1946).  Any earlier brown
>copies?
>
>John K.

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569
http://www.20ants.com
   books, individually and in lots. Specializing in fine press and non-fiction.
   Member of Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org
   Offering a safe bookbuying experience at
http://www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132